Thursday, June 25, 2009

Slow Cooker Thursday- Hungarian Goulash

I really had to get in on this one. I love cooking with my crockpots. I have three of them, and a pressure cooker, and a roaster. There is nothing better then being able to throw something together in the morning, and not having to worry about the rush at supper time. Here is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes:

Hungarian Goulash

1 ½-2 lbs of stew meat

1 clove of minced garlic

2 TBS flour

1 tsp. salt

½ tsp. pepper

1 TBS paprika

¼ tsp. dried thyme

1 bay leaf

1 can tomatoes

1 c. sour cream

Place stew meat and garlic in the crock pot. Stir in flour and mix to coat. Add all remaining ingredients except sour cream. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 7 to 10 hours on low or on high for 5-6 hours. Add sour cream about 30 min. before serving and stir in thouroughly. Serve with wide egg noodles, and biscuits and honey and butter.

This is good stuff, and I've been eating it for about as long as I can remember. My mom made it frequently. It is typically more of a fall, winter dish, but it can be enjoyed all year long! This feeds my family of 9, although we typically don't have leftovers like we used to! If you decide to try this, come back and let me know what your family thought of it!

Go here to see more of slow cooker Thursday.... Happy Slow Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I have not had this since I was a child. My great grandmother would make this and I loved it. Thank you for the recipe (and the reminder of my childhood) now I can make this for my girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy - going to copyit to my recipe book to try out this winter - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete